Monday, July 26, 2010

where am i?



I've been here a month now. I'm not sure if it feels like a long time or not. What i do know is that it's been pretty tough. It's not that i'm homesick, as such. I do miss people an incredible amount, but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's adjusting to not really having a purpose. As much as we all moan about work, it does give us structure and routine and the chance to value our free time. R is always going on about being time-poor. Well, i'm currently very time-rich, but it seems, the more time i have, the less i manage to achieve! Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow. I haven't read a book since i got here. i haven't finished my one report which i need to do for work... WHAT have i been doing? I think i slept for about a week trying to get over the jetlag (which seemed to hit me a lot harder this time - i think because it was so cold) and adjust to the cold weather. I know i found it v. difficult to get out of bed some days! And obviously i don't know anyone. I've been to a couple of meet ups now and started yoga, enquired about some volunteering, so i guess it's all starting to happen, but it takes time. And poor Mr R. has had to put up with all my struggles. And without sounding like i didn't think much of him before (!), he has totally astounded me with his patience, generosity and general all-round goodness. And believe me, I have been difficult... crying over thick gravy is really not gonna help anyone! At the same time it's been great. I sometimes have to pinch myself that I'm actually so far away and experiencing living somewhere new. I have all this time and so many opportunities to do and learn new things. And i'm living in a cute house in a great location with my boyfriend. I'm pretty darn lucky really. And when we have days like this in winter and places like this to hang out, life is rather cool. Now if we could just scoot australia a lil' closer to brighton, things truly would be perfect.

2 comments: