Tuesday, May 24, 2011

In stitches

This is a picture of my arm. A couple of weeks ago I had to have a biopsy on a growth type thing on my arm. Now, i've never really been to hospital. I've never broken anything or had stitches or anything like that, so this kinda freaked me out. I was fine at the clinic (I just didn't look) and then i had the dressing on (also fine because i couldn't see anything)... but then, when i had to take the dressing off... ick ick ick. Having a stitch in my arm made me feel really funny! I don't know what i expected but i think i thought the stitches would be see-through. i certainly wasn't expecting dark blue thread. Anyway i was a bit of a wuss for a whole week and made R put new band aids on so i didn't have to look at it. And then i was really dreading having the stitches out. Again, i don't know what i expected but the nurse took about 2 seconds and then it was done. In Australia the statistics for skin cancer are like 1 in 2 people will get it at some point in their lives so it's pretty run of the mill to have a dodgy mole or something, which meant i got no sympathy or even any interest (although i did manage to milk it a lil' bit at home). Poor me *sob*. Luckily however the results came back clear and it was actually a benign Lichenoid Keratosis. And now i think the scar from the biopsy is actually going to be bigger than the darn thing in the first place. And i'm about $200 poorer. But hey, as my dad says, 'your health is your wealth'.

1 comment:

  1. oh no! i only just read this post. i'm so glad the results came back clear. stitches though. eek!!

    ReplyDelete