Thursday, September 23, 2010

(the king of) kings park










Whilst you englanders at home might not wanna hear this, it's been absolutely glorious this week. Today, i'm sitting on the back porch in shorts and flip flops (i'm never ever gonna get used to calling them thongs, that's f'sure), the sky is clear blue, the sun is shining and it's a very lovely 28 degrees! I'm not sure if it's expected to stay this way now through to next March/April, and actually, that's kind of a crazy thought if it does, but i can't really complain. I've now started to put sunblock on as a matter of course in the mornings after getting slightly red on a walk around lake monger last week and we've switched to the lighter duvet (dooner)... wooo hooo! summer is definitely a'coming.

When the sun is shining i feel like i need to get out there and make the most of the day so yesterday, after hot yoga (that's another story!) in the morning, I jumped on my bike with my water bottle, a packet of raisins, my camera and a book and cycled up to kings park. I'd been to Kings Park back in March but at this time of year, it is simply spectacular. The flowers completely put Aruleun Botans to shame; absolutely no comparison, and it's all free! My guide book raves about Kings Park and when i went last summer, I wasn't really sure why. Yeah, it's a beautiful space and great views overlooking the city, but wow, yesterday, i saw it in a completely different light. Not sure if it was the sunlight (late in the afternoon) or the photographer (more than likely) but the photos don't really do the colours justice. But hopefully you'll get the gist of just how beautiful it was - vibrant flowers in all colours - orange, blue, yellow, pink - amazing. I need to learn a lot of the plant names but there's kangaroo paws, which are v. cool looking with a great almost fuzzy texture. The black and green ones looked great but my pictures unfortunately didn't. And the funniest thing that happened was some japanese tourists came over to me with a camera. Ah, i'm thinking, they want me to take a photo of them. Nooo, they wanted to take my photo with one of the boys! I can only assume my pasty white skin and red hair was the reason... and somewhere right now, i'm in someone's holiday snaps on facebook... hmmm!

2 comments:

  1. oooo... i'm lovin' the new look. very colourful!!!

    the flowers look beautiful! YAY for sunshine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx! i might change it back, just got a bit happy with the jazzing things up a bit!

    ReplyDelete