Tuesday, August 17, 2010

it's all about the birds


bird story no. 1 - there's a car hire company in perth whose tag is 'no birds'... for ages i kept tutting and thinking this was some sexist dig at something or other to do with women and cars. In the end I googled it and discovered it wasn't quite that bad (although obviously the fact that they refer to women as 'birds' isn't the best)... so it refers to back in the day when car hire companies had '
delivery girls' which increased hire costs... so there we go. I'll stop tutting now, but will still roll my eyes occasionally when i see one of their hire cars.... and i won't hire a car from them.

bird story no. 2 - I claimed in a previous post that i love seeing the brightly coloured lorikeets in the trees as they're so pretty. This is still true but the key phrase in that sentence is 'in the trees'. In my opinion birds should either be in trees, birdbaths, busy eating worms or whatever bird activities they want, as long as they're at least a metre or 2 away from me, and they certainly shouldn't think that they can come perch on or around or under the picnic table i'm sat at to grab meat bones from near my feet (bones, i hasten to add, that were left by the previous picnicking litterbugs, and not us). 'ooh, look at the green parrots, how cool are they?' *grabs camera*... 5 mins later i'm slightly freaked out that these birds are so tame and i'm shrieking that this isn't right and birds shouldn't be eating chicken, and fearing for my life (or at least the ickiness of one landing on my head), R suggests i go back to the car whilst he packs up the picnic stuff. My hero! R then poses me the dilemma of what would be worst... a bird on my head, a button held inches from my face or an hour in a car with loud music... Funny. Note their camouflaging skills so they can more slyly creep up on unsuspecting innocent people, like me.

2 comments:

  1. now that is a dilemma! i'm guessing its between the bird on ya head or the button in ya face? lets hope you never have to decide for real! eek

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, strangely, i do have also have a thing about loud music in a non-moving vehicle... (yes, i know!).. but yes, let's hope that dilemma never happens!

    ReplyDelete